Rise and Shine Vegan Tropical Green Breakfast Smoothie
My vegan tropical green breakfast smoothie is ideal for providing essential nutrients and the energy boost needed to wake our bodies up in the morning! Each glass is packed with orange, apple, pineapple, mango, kale, flaxseed and sweetened with maple syrup.
Are green Smoothies good for breakfast?
Green smoothies are the perfect breakfast food as they are bursting with plant-based goodness, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and essential healthy fats.
One serving of my tropical green smoothie provides around 4mg of iron!
Prep your smoothie in the evening and just give it a stir or shake in the morning and then your good to go!
Vegan Tropical Green Smoothie
Serves 2 although can serve more smaller portions.
Ideal for kids who dislike eating their greens as the kale provides the green colour without a strong taste!
Perfect for those of us who love our greens and want more ways to eat more. Like myself!
Vegan Tropical Green Smoothie
- 1 large orange Or 2 smaller ones. peeled and pips removed. Chopped.
- 1 apple leave the skin on and remove the core. Chopped.
- 180 grams pineapple about 1 very full cup. Frozen. Can freeze tinned pineapple, but remove from the tin first! Chopped.
- 165 grams mango about 1 very full cup. Frozen. Can freeze a fresh chopped mango. Chopped.
- 1/2 cup kale or a handful/about 30 grams. Shredded, thick stalks removed.
- 3 tbsp flaxseeds milled or ground.
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or more or less depending on your taste. Or use a different sweetener/sugar.
- 250 ml water 1 cup. Add more depending on your blender and whether or not you like thinner or thicker smoothies.
- Add all to a blender and whizz until smooth. For a thinner smoothie add a little more water.If your blender is small blend in 2 batches then mix the smoothie back together.
- Serve!Or keep chilled in the fridge for later.
The following nutritional data is for guidance only and is not a strict analysis as ingredients vary.
Vegan Tropical Green Breakfast Smoothie Recipe Notes
- Your smoothie will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days but will need shaking or stirred well before enjoying! Although smoothies taste best when consumed soon after blending.
- The maple syrup can be omitted if you like your smoothies less sweet.
- Add more kale if you’d prefer!
- Substitute the kale for spinach.
- Smoothies are not just for breakfast! Enjoy one as an afternoon pick-me-up for those tiring days when a little bit more energy is required to see you through the day. A vitamin and energy rich smoothie may be just what you need!
- A serving of my green smoothie provides around 4mg or iron! A huge amount for just a drink! Coupled with the vitamin C from the fruit the iron has a better chance of being bioavailable and absorb by your body.
- Try adding different flavours to your tropical smoothie. A sprinkle of desiccated coconut or coconut flakes over the top is tasty. Or top the smoothie with some passion fruit. Try papaya instead of mango. And so on!
- Try replacing the flaxseeds with vegan protein powder if liked. Or some ground chia seeds.
- If you have a good blender the ground flaxseeds could be replaced with hemp seeds or mixed seeds.
Looking for more energy boosting nutritious snacks or breakfast ideas?
Try my Coconut, cranberry and lime energy balls for a zingy, sweet hit whenever you need an energy boost or use for curbing cravings for refined snacks.
And for an extra healthy snack that can help keep you satiated until the next meal try a handful of healthy vegan trail mix.
Oats are excellent foods for keeping us full, helping stabilize blood sugars and protecting heart health. Why not try my tasty Scottish oatcakes? Ideal for when you are craving something savoury and crunchy!
I love traditional, satisfying, soul boosting lunches and dinners but often my family feels hungry between meals especially as lots of homemade plant-based and vegan food can be low in calories and fat.
So snacking on foods that are full of nutrition and essential healthy fats, I think, is key to avoiding too many refined foods.
It works for my family!
Although we do enjoy the odd home baking! Everything in moderation as they say!