Vegan 'Egg' Tofu Mayonnaise Sandwich
Traditional egg mayonnaise sandwich using plant-based ingredients
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time0 mins
- 100-110 grams Firm Tofu per person, use less per person if preferred especially if it's for kids
- 1 tbsp watercress per person, snipped up if large, left whole if it's the little watercress leaves
- 1 spring onion per person, chopped, could substitute same amount of fine chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise per person, Hellman's vegan mayonnaise is a nice substitute. I don't use it often but it's yummy for when you fancy a egg mayo replacement sandwich.
- salt and pepper to taste
- rocket leaves optional, any preferred salad leaves can be used if liked
- bread/rolls I used a vegan friendly crusty tiger bread
Squeeze the tofu to remove excess water. I use 2 small chopping boards and some paper towels. place paper towel under and above the tofu. Sit the tofu on chopping board and press down firmly with the other board to squeeze water out. Don't do it too hard. Some tofus are more watery than others.
(If you have any leftover tofu after this recipe, store covered, in the fridge, immersed in fresh water.)
Place the tofu in a bowl and mash with a fork until it's in small flaky pieces.
Add the spring onion/red onion and watercress. Mix.
Add the mayonnaise. Mix.
Season to taste.
Chill the tofu mayonnaise if liked. It will keep fine for up to 3 days, covered in fridge. Possibly longer.
Prepare as you would any other sandwich. I like to add extra chopped watercress on top of the tofu mayonnaise in the sandwich. Extra iron! Adding a layer of rocket leaves between the bread and tofu mayonnaise is also delicious, adding a peppery hit.
- Chilled Tofu Mayonnaise sandwiches are yummy for picnics, working lunches and generally anytime when you need a quick lunch on the move.
- Instead of a closed sandwich, for a change, prepare open sandwiches. A bonus is you can fit more filling in an open sandwich!
- A tbsp or two of toasted sunflower seeds are nice sprinkled on top of the tofu mayonnaise.
- Tofu mayonnaise is also delicious on a baked white or sweet potato for dinner. Serve with a colourful salad and you've got a complete meal.
- Any leftovers would be nice for a snack on top of your favourite cracker or even oat cakes. Find a vegan Scottish oatcake recipe here.
- If you have any black salt add a pinch to achieve that authentic egg sulphur taste of egg mayonnaise sandwiches. I bought some black salt a few years ago from Amazon, but don't tend to use it now. Though it is really good for those who miss the taste of eggs. Black salt is a popular natural ingredient used in Indian cooking, and originates from volcanic rock!
- For kids, you could use cookie/biscuit cutters and punch out cool shapes from these sandwich. It just makes them more appealing and fun for little and big kids! Perfect for parties.