My recipe for Traditional Vegan Pancakes result in a stack of fluffy, plump and light pancakes that are so delicious!
Ingredients are just your everyday staple food stuff so chances are you have everything to hand to create a pile of yummy Vegan Pancakes.
Amazingly these Vegan Pancakes taste just like ordinary traditional pancakes if not better!
The secret to fluffy Vegan Pancakes is the fridge resting time for the batter.
It only takes 5 minutes to whip up the batter then at least 60 minutes left to sit and do its thing chilling in the fridge!
Even better to save time prepare the batter the night before, give it a good mix and then its ready to use.
Amazingly, pancakes have been flipped and tossed since at least medieval times! Pancakes have been recorded in recipe books since 1439! I would love to read a medieval recipe book!
Vegan Traditional Pancakes
Makes 8 large pancakes or more smaller ones!
Perfect for Shrove Tuesday / Pancake Day! Or any day!
Vegan Traditional Pancakes
- non-stick frying pan/pancake pan or a pancake maker/hotplate
- 227 grams self-raising flour 1 and1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons sugar your choice. Or use maple/agave/date syrup etc. I used caster sugar
- 1/2 pint plant-based milk or 1 and a 1/2 cups. I used Oatley Organic oat milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence/extract
- Place all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir.
- Add wet ingredients and whisk well with a spoon or fork. If your batter is too thick add an extra 2 tbsp of milk. I usually do.Although this recipe does create a thick batter so don't make your batter too runny.
- Leave in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Heat your frying pan. Use oil if necessary. If using a pancake maker set the hotplate to a high temperature.
- Add about 1/4 of a cup (60ml) of batter per pancake. Flip the pancakes when lots of bubbles have appeared over the surface.
- Cook on the other side until golden.
Recipe notes for Traditional Vegan Pancakes
- I used a pancake maker that I purchased from Amazon, UK during their Black Friday 2020 sale. Its now one of my favourite kitchen gadgets as it can cook/heat/brown many things without added oil. Such as flatbreads, bubble and squeak type patties, Scottish potato scones, crumpets, etc. You can even caramelize and brown vegetables such as peppers, tomatoes, courgettes. I purchased the Duronic one but have included a link to a less expensive one as I purchased mine during the sale and it was much cheaper!
- Pancakes will keep fresh for up to 3 days. I store mine in the fridge, or just covered on the countertop if going to be consumed within 24 hours.
- Pancakes can be frozen, well wrapped to prevent freezer burn.
- Toasted pancakes with jam are a delicious way to enjoy 3 day old pancakes! Check out my easy, quick Chia Seed Jam recipe. Chia Jam is a perfect way to use up yellow-sticker/reduced fruit punnets.
- Serve your pancakes with lots of fruit! Try creating a rainbow fruit salad. Kids will love it!
- Maple/agave/date syrup drizzled over your pancakes is a yummy addition.
- Plant-based, vegan yogurt is also tasty with pancakes.
- Try adding vegan chocolate chips, blueberries, raspberries, etc to your pancakes. Quickly add the filling to the pancake after you flip it. For apple pancakes, stew little cubes of apple until just soft and then add these to the pancakes.
- For birthday cake pancakes, sprinkle vegan-friendly sprinkles over your pancake after flipping. My kids love these!
- I love pancakes cold with a little vegan margarine/butter spread over.
Looking for more plant-based, vegan desserts?
Check out my healthy, quick Vegan Chocolate Pudding!
And for an evening treat this sweet, milky, spicy Turmeric Latte is perfect. Its my ultimate favourite! So good when you need a mood boost, feeling a little under-the-weather, or have aches and pains.
Tried one of my recipes? I would love to hear how you got on.
All comments and feedback appreciated.
Snapped a photo for social media?
Tag us @traditionalplantbasedcooking
We would love to see your baking/cooking creations!