Vegan crispy tofu bites are ideal to adorn your favourite salad, buddha bowl or to stuff into a sandwich, wrap or pitta bread for lunch.
Or munch on some crispy tofu bites for a tasty snack! Especially with a tasty dipping sauce such as sweet chilli.
Mix some crispy tofu through your pasta or rice dish for an additional protein and calcium boost.
Tofu is a brilliant plant-based food choice as its full of amazing nutrition.
For example research has demonstrated some evidence that costuming tofu may help reduce menopausal hot flushes, lower cholesterol levels, prevent heart disease, help prevent osteoporosis, help with and prevent prostate cancer and other cancers, help with weight loss, and improve brain health and memory!
Origins of tofu
Tofu is a Japanese word that means bean curd. To make tofu soya milk is curdled with a coagulant and then the curds are pressed into the white brick that we know as tofu!
Tofu originated in China more than 2000 years ago. Other countries that count tofu as a traditional food include Vietnam, Japan, Korea, Singapore and Thailand.
In 1878 the first US tofu company was formed! Although tofu as a food was still relatively unknown in western countries it was slowly gaining popularity amongst vegetarians.
In 1908 a Chinese man opened the first ever soy factory in France that manufactured and sold tofu.
Nowadays, tofu is quite rightly appreciated globally!
Vegan Crispy Tofu Bites
Tofu is a complete protein as it contains all 9 amino acids that our body requires!
Just another excellent reason to prepare these crispy tofu bites!
This recipe uses the gf soy sauce tamari for a yummy gluten-free snack!
For an oil-free version add a few tbsp of aquafaba in place of the olive oil. Aquafaba is basically the liquid drained from a can of chickpeas and can help the tofu bites crisp up.
Vegan Crispy Tofu Bites
- Baking tray and some parchment paper to line if necessary
- Mixing bowl
- 350 grams firm tofu about 2 1/2 cups. Press between some kitchen towel paper to remove excess liquid.
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp tamari This is a gluten-free soy sauce that is lower in sodium and tastes mellower. Alternatively use a light soya sauce.
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp corn-flour or corn-starch
- salt and pepper to taste if desired
- Preheat oven to 180 Fan/ 200 C/ 400 F/ Gas 6
- Slice tofu into little cubes or the desired size.
- Mix all the ingredients, except the corn-flour, and leave to marinade for a few hours if possible, If not at least 10 minutes is fine!
- Mix the corn-flour through the marinated tofu.Lay out the tofu onto the baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes, turning halfway, or until the tofu is golden and crispy.
- Enjoy hot or cold!
The following nutritional data is for guidance only and is not a strict analysis as ingredients vary!
Vegan Crispy Tofu Recipe Notes
- Crispy tofu bites will keep fresh in the fridge for 3 days. Enjoy reheated or cold.
- The tofu I tend to use more of is The Tofooco. brand. This brand is just tofu with no other additions.
- Try using a smoked tofu for this recipe. No other flavourings need to be added, just add the olive oil and corn-flour and bake until crispy! I love smoked tofu especially sliced thin on sandwiches.
- If you have an air fryer try cooking these little tofu nuggets in the fryer.
- Mix up the spices and herbs for different variations. Try some BBQ spice mix and some drops of hot sauce.
- It can be surprisingly easy to make your own tofu at home! I have done on previous occasions when I have had more time to spare and loved it.
Looking for more nutritious and delicious snacks?
Try my traditional Scottish vegan oatcakes