Vegan crispy tofu bites are ideal to add to your favourite salad, buddha bowl or to pack into a sandwich, wrap or pitta bread for lunch.
Or munch on some crispy tofu bites for a tasty snack! Especially with a tasty dipping sauce such as sweet chilli.
Mix some crispy tofu through your pasta or rice dish for an additional protein and calcium boost.
Tofu Can Be A Great Addition To Your Plant Based Diet
Tofu is a complete protein as it contains all 9 amino acids that our body requires.
Tofu is a brilliant plant-based food choice as its full of amazing nutrition.
For example research has demonstrated some evidence that costuming tofu may help reduce menopausal hot flushes, lower cholesterol levels, prevent heart disease, help prevent osteoporosis, help with and prevent prostate cancer and other cancers, help with weight loss, and improve brain health and memory!
Origins of tofu
Tofu is a Japanese word that means bean curd. To make tofu soya milk is curdled with a coagulant and then the curds are pressed into the white brick that we know as tofu!
Tofu originated in China more than 2000 years ago. Other countries that count tofu as a traditional food include Vietnam, Japan, Korea, Singapore and Thailand.
In 1878 the first US tofu company was formed! Although tofu as a food was still relatively unknown in western countries it was slowly gaining popularity amongst vegetarians.
In 1908 a Chinese man opened the first ever soy factory in France that manufactured and sold tofu.
Nowadays, tofu is quite rightly appreciated globally!
Vegan Crispy Tofu Bites Recipe Notes
Leftover tofu bites can be stored within the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keep the little tasty nuggets within a covered food container.
Yes these tofu bites can be frozen for up to 3-4 months. However the texture will change slightly but will still be tasty.
Add the crispy tofu to a non-stick pan and over a medium-high heat stir the tofu until its piping hot. If preferred add a teaspoon or two of olive oil or coconut oil.
Or place on a baking tray, add a layer of kitchen foil if preferred, and reheat at the cooking temperature for 5-10 minutes.
It is easy to prepare these little tofu nuggets as free from gluten.
Use tamari soy sauce which tends to be gluten-free but do check the packaging to make sure.
Also double check any spice/herb powders that are used as some packets may bulk out the spices with some flour.
The oil does provide the crispness and I have purposefully kept the oil to a minimum by only using one tablespoon so I do recommend using the oil.
However, if you don't mind the difference in texture then a few tablespoons of aquafaba (the water from a can of chickpeas) can be used instead of oil.
Of course not!
Aquafaba can be saved each time you use a can of chickpeas by freezing the aquafaba within ice cube trays.
Once frozen pop these out and place in a freezer-proof container or bag. This way you can build up a good store of aquafaba for whenever you need it!
Aquafaba can be purchased at the store or supermarket so this way we can get it for almost free!
More Delicious Vegan Meal Ideas:
Chickpea 'tuna' And Potato Mornay (can also make chickpea 'tuna' salad from this recipe)
Cabbage and Noodles (Polish Haluski)
Sage And Onion Meatloaf (chickpeas, green lentil and pinhead oatmeal)
Vegan Crispy Tofu Bites
- Baking tray and some parchment paper to line if necessary parchment/baking paper to line if necessary
- Mixing bowl
- 350 grams firm tofu Press between some kitchen towel paper to remove excess liquid.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce or regular soy sauce (use tamari if needing gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cornflour or cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 180 Fan/ 200 C/ 400 F/ Gas 6
- Slice tofu into little cubes or the desired size.
- Mix all the ingredients, except the cornflour, and leave to marinade for a few hours if possible, If not at least 10 minutes is fine!
- Mix the cornflour through the marinated tofu.Lay out the tofu onto the baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes, turning halfway, or until the tofu is golden and crispy.
- Enjoy hot or cold.
- Crispy tofu bites will keep fresh in the fridge for 3 days. Enjoy hot or cold.
- Reheat by adding to a non-stick pan and over a medium heat stir and reheat until piping hot. Or place in the oven at the cooking temperature for 5-10 minutes. If preferred cover the tofu bites with some kitchen foil.
- The tofu I tend to use more of is The Tofoo brand. This brand is just tofu with no other additions.
- Try using a smoked tofu for this recipe. No other flavourings need to be added, just add the olive oil and cornflour and bake until crispy! Smoked tofu is also tasty sliced thin and enjoyed on sandwiches.
- If you have an air fryer try cooking these little tofu nuggets in the air fryer.
- Mix up the spices and herbs for different variations. Try some BBQ spice mix, curry powder, garam masala, chilli powder or some drops of hot sauce.
- It can be surprisingly easy to make your own tofu at home! I have done on previous occasions when I have had more time to spare and loved it.