Vegan prawn tofu cocktail is a refreshingly light, flavour packed dish that is perfect for a special Holiday meal starter, or light lunch. Dish up with deliciously crunchy breadstick croutons and tasty salad. So good.
Or pack the tofu cocktail into a sandwich or tortilla wrap for a special festive or refreshing spring-summer time treat.
This vegan tofu prawn cocktail recipe uses smoked tofu but if preferred this can be simply replaced with plain firm tofu, cooked pearl barley, chickpeas or butterbeans.
Quick Origins Of Prawn Cocktail
Prawn cocktail is a retro or vintage dish that was popular during the 60s, 70s and 80s. In the US prawns are better known as shrimps. The sauce used to prepare the cooked prawns is termed Marie Rose which is of British origins and in its basic form is a blend of tomato ketchup and mayonnaise. However, prawn cocktail goes further back to at least the 1800s.
The term cocktail comes from the serving method of this dish, as prawn cocktail is classically served within a cocktail, wine or similar tall glass. Prawn cocktail is usually served as a starter, aperitif or Hors do Oeuvre.
Vegan 'Prawn' Tofu Cocktail With Crunchy Breadstick Croutons
It is quick and easy to prepare this fabulous little starter that would be perfect for a Thanksgiving, festive meal, New Years Day dinner, special Holiday meal, or any day just because.
The tofu cocktail and crunchy breadsticks can be served in little individual dishes, as a sandwich/tortilla wrap or baked potato filling, or with a salad/Buddha/powder bowl.
Any type of bread can be used including a gluten-free bread if necessary. Or even replace the breadsticks with oatcakes/crackers/saltine crackers/rice or corn cakes, etc.
First the breadsticks are sliced into 4 long pieces and mixed in a bowl with seasoning and apple cider vinegar. Once mixed the bread strips are laid out on a baking tray and baked for 10 minutes, flipped over and baked for a further 3 minutes. That's all there is to preparing a tasty batch of crunchy croutons. I used a loaf of bread that was reduced from the supermarket, and this was perfect as well as being extremely budget-friendly.
While the breadstick croutons are baking the smoked tofu is drained, pressed or squeezed if necessary to remove excess liquid, and sliced into little pieces. Using smoked tofu adds delicious flavours and if you can access smoked tofu I do highly recommend using it for this recipe. Although plain firm tofu could be used with perhaps a teaspoon of liquid smoke mixed through and pre-marinated before using with this recipe. Or add a half to a full teaspoon of smoked paprika to the sauce if liked.
To make up the easy tofu cocktail sauce all the ingredients are simply added to the tofu and stirred well. The ingredients required are tomato ketchup, vegan mayonnaise, vegan plain yogurt, vegan Worcester sauce, prepared mustard, lemon juice, and some salt and pepper to taste.
If you'd like to prepare your own home-made oil-free vegan mayonnaise then do have a look at Dr McDougall's easy recipe.
The tofu 'prawn' cocktail can be enjoyed straight away but it is much more tasty when left to chill overnight in the fridge as all the flavours get a chance to settle and meld together.
Serve the tofu cocktail on a bed of your favourite crispy lettuce or fresh spinach, and sprinkle a little dried dill over along with a scattering of spring/green onions. A few cherry or plum tomatoes on the side are a delicious addition as is a few of the crunchy breadstick croutons.
Such a refreshing and light start to a special meal. Do let us know if you try this recipe we would love your feedback.
How To Prepare Tofu 'Prawn' Cocktail And Crunchy Croutons
Recipe Notes And FAQS
Store leftovers in a covered container for up to 3 days. The flavours of the cocktail sauce improve as each day goes by. Any leftover sauce can be added to salads or sandwiches.
* instead of smoked tofu replace with plain firm tofu. Add a teaspoon of smoked paprika to the sauce if you'd like a smoky flavour. The smoked tofu used for this recipe is the Tofoo.co brand.
* or switch out the tofu altogether and use cooked pearl barley (which I have done and it is a very tasty replacement), or cooked chickpeas, kidney beans, butterbeans, etc.
* alternatively simply prepare the sauce and use as a salad dressing
* instead of prepared mustard such as Dijon/English/ordinary hotdog mustard replace with horseradish sauce. My family don't like the strong flavour of horseradish but many do!
* use a flavoured vegan mayonnaise for interesting complex flavours! Such as a garlic mayonnaise or a siracha mayonnaise. If using a plain tofu this may be a good idea to inject more flavour into the tofu.
* a minced garlic clove is a tasty addition for those who enjoy garlic flavours
* for extra freshness add chopped fresh herbs through the sauce or sprinkle over the tofu cocktail before serving. Herbs such as parsley, basil, coriander, dill, lemon thyme.
Simply ensure that all your sauce ingredients are free of gluten ingredients, and choose a gluten-free bread for the croutons. Also check that your seasoning mix is free of gluten ingredients.
Discover More Delicious Vegan Recipes To Enjoy Over The Holidays..
Vegan chickpea tuna and potato mornay
Vegan sage and onion meatloaf (green lentils, oatmeal, chickpeas)
Cream of swede (rutabaga) soup with crispy tangy croutons
Three ingredient super quick vegan Christmas cake
Tasty traditional Christmas pudding
Chocolate pudding with a Scottish shortbread biscuit
Traditional Scottish border tart (Eyemouth tart) perfect alternative to sweet festive mince pies
Vegan 'Prawn' Tofu Cocktail with Crunchy Breadstick Croutons
- Mixing bowl
- Baking tray with a layer of greaseproof/baking paper if necessary
Tofu 'prawn' cocktail:
- 250 grams smoked tofu or thereabouts can be a little less or more than this weight. or replace with cooked pearl barley, can of chickpeas/kidney beans etc.
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons vegan plain yogurt
- 4 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon mustard I used ordinary mustard intended for hotdogs and the like. Can replace with horseradish sauce
- 2 teaspoon vegan Worcester sauce or replace with regular or Tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 80 grams lettuce crispy varieties are best but can use any type of lettuce
To serve: crunchy crouton breadsticks (optional)
- 4 slices wholemeal bread or your preferred bread eg. pumpernickel or gluten-free
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs or a fish seasoning herb mix or other preferred herb blend
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 12 whole cherry tomatoes or quartered larger tomatoes
- 4 whole spring onions green onions
Preheat the oven to 180 Fan/ 200 Celsius/ 392 Fahrenheit/ Gas 6.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof/baking paper if necessary.
Prepare the breadstick croutons:
- Cut 4 slices of bread into 4 breadsticks each. Add the sticks to a bowl along with the apple cider vinegar and mixed dried herbs.
- Lay the breadsticks out on a baking tray, season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip the sticks over, and bake for a further 3 minutes.
Prepare the vegan prawn tofu cocktail:
- Chop the tofu into small pieces. Add to a bowl along with the tomato ketchup, vegan mayonnaise, vegan plain yogurt, mustard, lemon juice and Worcester sauce.
- Mix the sauce well through the tofu pieces. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill for at least a few hours, preferably overnight, but if you really can't wait then serve right away.
- Add a layer of lettuce to your serving dishes and share out the tofu cocktail. Sprinkle a little dried dill over the top, and chuck on a few chopped spring/green onion pieces for extra tastiness.
- Give each serving a few breadstick croutons and some cherry/plum tomatoes.
- Nutritional information is provided for guidance only and is not a strict calculation as ingredients vary.
- The smoked tofu used for this recipe was the Tofoo.co brand.
- Plain firm tofu can be used instead with a teaspoon of smoked paprika added to the sauce if liked.
- In the US prawns are better known as shrimps.
- Leftover tofu cocktail can be stored in the fridge within a covered container for up to 3 days. The flavours of tofu prawn cocktail improve the longer it sits! Its recommended to prepare the tofu cocktail the day before serving.
- Its not advised to freeze tofu cocktail as the creamy sauce and tofu texture will change.
- Any leftover cocktail sauce can be drizzled over a salad or spread on a tasty sandwich to add extra delicious flavours.
- Tofu cocktail can be used as a baked potato filling, sandwich filling, side dish, or even enjoyed as a snack with a few crackers or oatcakes.
Leave a Reply