Vegan Chinese 'chicken' jackfruit and sweetcorn soup is so delicious, easy and quick to prepare.
Perfect for a light lunch or a starter soup for a larger Chinese themed meal at home or a take-out at home fake-way.
Tasty pieces of jackfruit, sweetcorn, fresh bean sprouts, Chinese five spice and veggie stock is all that is required to prepare this flavour packed broth.
Garnish with spring onions and a drizzle of sesame oil and soy sauce. So good!
Quick Origins of Chinese Chicken And Sweetcorn Soup
Chinese chicken and sweetcorn soup is a popular Chinese takeaway or restaurant soup.
This broth is also known as egg drop soup as an egg is whisked and mixed through the soup before serving.
This type of soup was developed by Chinese immigrants in American-Chinese restaurants and with the traditional soup amended to suit Western palates.
Vegan Adapted Chinese 'chicken' And Sweet Corn Soup
This veggie adapted soup replaces the chicken with jackfruit. Jackfruit is perfect for this soup as it provides the correct texture whilst soaking up the delicious Chinese 5 spice, veggie stock, and fresh sweetcorn flavours.
For the veggie stock I use 2 meat free chicken OXO cubes that I sourced in Asda (UK) but any vegan chicken stock or regular vegetable stock is perfect.
I also used corn kernels that I removed from fresh corncobs as I managed to source some at the reduced section of the supermarket! However canned or frozen sweetcorn is just fine for this recipe.
Once the jackfruit, sweetcorn and Chinese 5 spice powder has simmered in the veggie stock for 10 minutes fresh mung bean sprouts are chucked in. The mung bean sprouts are the ordinary inexpensive ones usually found near the fresh stir fry veggie mixes in the supermarket.
The mung bean sprouts replace the egg that is traditionally dropped into the broth and stirred around to create strips of egg. The bean sprouts add delicious fresh nutty flavours and crunchy pleasing textures.
Before serving, Chinese chicken and corn soup is generally thickened up with a cornflour/starch slurry which is basically an equal mix of cornflour and water.
To finish this veggie adapted Chinese soup a cornflour mix is poured into the broth along with the beansprouts and simmered for a few minutes.
That's all there is to preparing this really easy Chinese soup recipe!
It's that easy and quick but the flavours are so good especially when each served portion has a few extra bean sprouts scattered over, along with a spring onion garnish, and finished off with a drizzle of sesame oil and soy sauce.
If you prepare this recipe do pop back and let us know how you got on as we love receiving comments and feedback.
Thanks so much.
How To Prepare Vegan Chinese Jackfruit And Sweetcorn Soup
Recipe Notes And FAQS
Leftover soup can be stored within a covered container and placed in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This soup can be frozen within a freezer and food safe container for up to 4 months.
Although do keep in mind that some of the textures may change slightly such as the bean sprouts.
This Chinese corn soup can be served as a starter on its own before a larger meal.
For a lighter lunch or dinner try also serving:
* a few spring rolls
* add a few Chinese dumplings or gyozas into the soup along with the bean sprouts
* thin slices of toasted bread
* lentil/chickpea crisps or seaweed crisps (or in America they may be known as chips/snacks)
* seaweed snacks or those little seaweed snack sheets
* rice/Udon/buckwheat noodles
* sweet potato chips/fries
* place fresh spinach at the base of the serving bowl and ladle over the soup
* fresh crispy salad
* cooked rice at the bottom of each bowl
* crispy tofu bites
This veggie soup can be easily prepared as gluten-free.
Simply ensure that your vegetable stock, soy sauce and Chinese 5 spice powder is free from gluten.
Tamari soy sauce is usually gluten-free as opposed to regular soy sauce which tends to be prepared with wheat.
Of course not.
If preferred just leave the cornflour out of the soup. The soup will be thinner but the delicious flavours will remain the same.
More Tasty Vegan Soups:
Mexican Spaghetti Soup (With Corn And Black Beans)
Loaded Taco Bean Soup (Load up with all your favourite taco toppings)
Old Fashioned Cream Of Swede (rutabaga) Soup (with tangy crunchy croutons)
Mulligatawny Soup (fruity curried veggies and rice)
Chinese 'chicken' And Sweetcorn Soup (Vegan)
- Large saucepan/dutch oven or Wok
- 1 can jackfruit 400g/14oz can, yields about 215g drained jackfruit
- 200 grams sweetcorn fresh, frozen or canned
- 100 grams beansprouts long mung bean sprouts, type intended for stir fry's
- 2 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice powder
- 6 whole spring onions sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons cornflour cornstarch
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock hot, use a vegan chicken flavour stock such as meat free chicken OXO cubes
Optional, to serve
- sesame oil
- soy sauce
- Drain the jackfruit from the can and wash any brine off.
- Using a fork or two forks shred the jackfruit into pieces. Using a knife slice any harder edge parts up into smaller pieces.
- Add the shredded jackfruit to the pot along with the sweetcorn and Chinese 5 spice powder.
- Pour in the hot veggie stock, and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and over a medium heat simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the 2 tablespoons of cornflour/starch with 2 tablespoons of water until smooth.After 10 minutes of the soup simmering pour the cornflour slurry into the soup.
- Tip in the bean sprouts (can reserve a small amount for garnish) and give the soup a mix.
- Bring back to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Scatter over some of the sliced spring onions.
- Serve each portion with extra spring onions and a few fresh bean sprouts.Optional but recommended: Drizzle a little sesame oil and soy sauce over each serving.
- Nutritional information is provided for guidance only and is not a strict calculation as ingredients vary.
- Leftover vegan Chinese soup will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Or freeze for up to 4 months. Although some of the texture may change such as the bean sprouts.
- Serve this delicious jackfruit and sweetcorn soup as a starter for a larger homemade Chinese meal or Fake-away.