Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup is serious comfort bowl food!
Enjoy a bowl as a quick lunch with your family, whenever anyone is feeling under-the-weather, or just because!
Origins of chicken noodle soup
Humans have been enjoying bowls of chicken soup/broth for thousands of years! Ancient Greek philosophers believed in the medicinal benefits of chicken soup. But chicken soup goes even further back as chickens were domesticated during the Neolithic era (around 12,000 years ago).
Most cultures have there own version of chicken soup.
The combination of mixing noodles with chicken soup originates more recently when Campbells developed the can of chicken noodle soup in 1934.
Vegan chicken noodle soup
The evolution of chicken soup is even better in todays society as now we get to enjoy plant-based chicken noodle soup!
Vegan chicken noodle soup has less saturated fat, less or no cholesterol, less sodium, low-fat, low-calories but is bursting with plant-based goodness and nutrients. It also comes with the feel-good factor and a bowl of my soup is much kinder to chickens!
Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
This recipe uses Vegan Quorn fillets.
However you can use whatever plant-based ‘chicken style’ pieces you like. Or sub for a creamy bean such as butterbeans or cannellini especially if you are gluten-free as the Quorn fillets have wheat gluten.
- Large saucepan/ stockpot
- 1 medium onion about 155 grams/1 1/2 cups Diced.
- 6 garlic cloves or just use 4. Diced. My family loves lots of garlic!
- 2 carrots about 175 grams/1 1/2 cups. Diced.
- 150 grams vegan chicken pieces or fillets about 1 1/2 cups. I use frozen vegan Quorn chicken fillets (chopped up). I find that they lend the soup a chickeny flavour. Allow the fillets to defrost a little before slicing to smaller pieces.
- 130 grams frozen peas about 1 1/2 cups.
- 130 grams frozen sweetcorn about 1 1/2 cups.
- 200 grams dried noodles About 3-4 cups although its difficult to measure dried pasta nests in a cup! So its best to measure with a scale. I used tagliatelle noodles. Try to use a thick noodle. Use gluten-free noodles if necessary.
- 2 vegan stock cubes I used the Marigold Organic brand which are gluten-free. If you can source a good plant-based no-chicken stock then perhaps use that.
- 2 bay leaf's
- 4 spring onions, optional sliced to garnish each serving.
- Add carrot, onion, garlic, carrot, stock cubes and bay leaf's to a saucepan.Pour in 250ml/1 cup of water.
- Bring to the boil.Lower the heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the vegan chicken pieces, peas and sweetcorn.MixPour in 1.5 litres/ 1.5 US quarts of boiling water
- Bring back to the boil.Add the noodles.Simmer until noodles are cooked.Usually about 8-10 minutes but check your packet instructions.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.Remove the bay leaf's.Share out the sliced spring onions if using.Serve!
The following nutritional facts are for guidance only and are not a strict analysis as ingredients vary.
Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe Notes
- The quantities of this recipe can be easily adapted to meet your family’s needs. Simply add more vegetables and noodles for more servings. Including more stock as the noodles soak up the liquid. For less portions just half the ingredients.
- Vegan chicken noodle soup make for tasty leftovers! Although most of the liquid will absorb as it sits over night. So either enjoy reheated as a pasta dish or add a little water/stock and reheat as a soup.
- Always reheat leftovers to boiling point and simmer for at least a few minutes.
- Leftovers will keep fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- I haven’t tried freezing portions as there’s never any left to freeze! There’s always somebody around willing to munch up the leftovers! But I would think freezing would be totally fine!
- Any noodles can be used for this recipe but thicker noodles are best which is why I used tagliatelle. I couldn’t source any other thicker noodles where I live.
- If your soup needs to be gluten-free then ensure your noodles, stock and vegan chicken pieces are gluten-free.
- If you can source thick whole-wheat noodles even better as the fibre content will be boosted even higher!
- Serve your noodle soup with a chunk of crusty bread. Try my easy Vegan Irish soda bread recipe or these tasty quick dinner rolls which kids especially love! Better still have your kids prepare the rolls.