Vegan banana chocolate chip bread is based on the old-fashioned banana bread recipes.
The result is a cake bread that is packed with tasty ripe bananas with sweet flavours of cinnamon and chocolate.
During baking your kitchen will smell divine with sweet toffee aromas!
A slice of vegan banana bread is perfect for breakfast, elevenses or to accompany an afternoon tea.
This recipe uses vegan dark chocolate chips but if preferred simply leave the chocolate out or replace with cacao nibs, chopped walnuts, flaked almonds or even sunflower seeds.
Origins of banana bread
Banana bread or loaf is not actually a bread but more resembles a cake in loaf form as it is traditionally baked in a loaf tin. Also banana bread is usually served in slices similar to bread.
Banana bread is claimed to have originated in 1930's US as a recipe first appeared in Pillsbury's 1933 Balanced Recipes Cookbook.
During the Great Depression banana bread helped reduce food waste as very ripe bananas could avoid the rubbish pile by being transformed into a yummy teatime treat.
Americans love banana bread so much that they even have a National Banana Bread Day in its honour. Held annually on the 23rd February.
So definitely the right time to try this easy and delicious vegan chocolate chip banana bread.
Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
This vegan chocolate chip banana bread could not be easier to prepare and is the perfect way to use up very ripe bananas.
Even bananas that are almost black on the outside can still be used for this recipe. The riper the banana the better the flavours and textures will be in the finished banana bread. So do leave 3 medium sized bananas out on the counter top for a wee while so that they will be perfect for banana bread.
Adding chocolate drops to banana bread adds extra delicious flavours and interest especially for younger family members! My kids also like to spread some vegan chocolate spread over a slice of this banana bread.
To prepare banana bread, first the soft brown sugar is creamed with vegan margarine. A hand whisk can be used and will of course be quicker, but a mixing spoon especially a wooden spoon and a few minutes of beating will do the job just fine.
Mashed ripe bananas are stirred through the creamed margarine before a few tablespoons of plant milk is poured in.
At this stage the banana mixture may look split and odd but honestly it will be fine and is to be expected.
Next in is the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon which is stirred until just combined before the chocolate drops are also mixed through.
Do be gentle whilst mixing as there is no need to beat or whisk hard so just use a mixing spoon and fold all the ingredients together.
Now the cake batter is scooped into a prepared loaf pan and baked for 45-60 minutes. Exact times will of course depend on your oven. Fan ovens will be faster to bake so check the banana bread after 45 minutes.
Once baked the bread is left for a short while in the tin before being tipped out to cool completely.
If you can wait, banana bread flavour and texture will be better the next day after it gets a chance to settle and develop, and the chocolate chips go harder.
But really who has the discipline!
I know I tried a slice soon after it came out the oven and the chocolate was all melty and amazing!
If you bake this delicious chocolate chip banana bread do pop back and let us know how you got on. We really love receiving comments and feedback.
Thanks so much.
How To Prepare Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Recipe Notes And FAQS
Banana bread can be stored for up to 4-5 days within a cake tin or covered container.
Also wrapping in a layer of kitchen foil or baking paper helps preserve the breads moistness and freshness.
Banana bread can also be stored wrapped in the refrigerator which is recommend if you live in a warm region or your house is extra warm.
Keeping the bread in the fridge may prolong its freshness by an extra 1-2 days.
Banana bread freezes well. Wrap the bread up in freezer proof covering and freeze for 3-4 months. Whole banana cakes can be frozen or sliced into portions.
Place a small piece of baking paper between each slice or a few slices, for easier retrieval.
Unwrap and defrost completely before enjoying.
The chocolate chips can simply be omitted.
Or replace with cacao nibs, coconut shreds, chopped walnuts, flaked almonds or even sunflower or pumpkin seeds.
More Delicious Vegan Tea Breads And Fruit Loafs:
Depression Era (1930s!) Peanut Butter Bread
Old Fashioned Weetabix Loaf Cake
Scottish Smiddy Dumpling (traditional sultana cake)
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 kg/ 2Ib loaf pan Plus parchment/baking paper or a baking paper insert
- hand mixer optional, can just use a mixing spoon
- 60 grams vegan margarine or vegan butter
- 115 grams soft brown sugar light brown
- 340 grams mashed bananas or 3 medium very ripe bananas (weight is after skin removed)
- 230 grams self-raising flour sifted
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons plant milk
- 100 grams dark chocolate chips (vegan-friendly) Or a block of vegan chocolate cut into chip size pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 150 Fan/170 Celsius/ 338 Fahrenheit/ Gas 3.
- Prepare the loaf pan by greasing and lining with baking parchment or pop in a paper case insert.Mash the bananas until smooth.
- Add the sugar and margarine to a bowl and beat with a mixing spoon or hand mixer until thoroughly creamed together.
- Add the mashed bananas and stir.Don't worry if it looks split. Its fine.
- Pour in the plant milk and mix.
- Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir until everything is just combined. Don't beat the mix or stir too fast.Pop in the chocolate drops and mix through the batter.
- Scoop the cake batter into the loaf pan.Level the surface.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes (depending on your oven) on the middle shelf until risen, golden and a skewer or knife inserted comes out clean. Apart from smudges of melted chocolate.Check for doneness after 45 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the loaf pan for at least 30 minutes.Carefully tip out and place on a wire rack to cool. Or just sit on a chopping board to cool if no wire rack available.
- Nutritional data is provided for guidance only and is not a strict calculation as ingredients vary.
- Store banana bread for up to 5 days within a cake tin or airtight container. Adding an extra layer of greaseproof paper or kitchen foil wrap will help preserve the freshness and moistness for longer.
- Banana bread can also be stored wrapped in the refrigerator which is especially recommended if you live in a hot area or your house is extra warm. The chocolate chips will go hard in the fridge which is very tasty. Banana bread may keep for an extra few days if stored in the fridge.
- Banana bread can be frozen for up to 3-4 months. Wrap up the whole banana bread or portion out slices. A small piece of parchment paper between each slice or few slices allows for easier retrieval of 1 or 2 slices at a time.
- Defrost (remove the wrapping) completely before enjoying.
- Chocolate chips can be replaced with cacao nibs, chopped walnuts, flaked almonds, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut shards, etc.
- Or simply omit the chocolate chips or drops.
- Banana bread flavours improve as each day passes. If you can bear it leave your bread until the next day! On day three of this banana bread it was tasting like those little banana Soreen malt cakes you can purchase from the supermarket. So tasty!
I think I'm with your kids on this one, everything is always better with chocolate chips! Beautiful looking loaf, can't wait to make it.
Thanks so much! Hope you enjoy 🙂
This sounds amazing! My boyfriend has been bugging me to make my banana bread with chocolate chips. Can't wait to try this version.
Awesome! Hope your boyfriend loves the banana bread 🙂
It's so interesting to see how other people make banana bread. Mine has a lot less ingredients and a lot more flour. It's a thing of beauty though isn't it and so good toasted.
I know! I love seeing how different other peoples recipes are. It fascinates me the different combinations of ingredients and equally tasty results. I agree banana bread is great toasted especially for breakfast. Thanks so much for stopping by!
Bintu | Budget Delicious
Banana bread is ALWAYS a hit in my house so to add chocolate chips and make it vegan - even better! Would love a slice - or two, or three!
Thanks the combination of chocolate and banana is a classic! You can have a slice of this banana bread ready in a short time! Enjoy 🙂
That texture is brilliant, I have been looking for good vegan banana bread and I've finally found it! Thanks for the detailed instructions
Great! Glad you found your recipe!