Vegan banana chocolate chip bread is based on the old-fashioned banana bread recipes.
A slice of vegan banana bread is perfect for an elevenses or to accompany afternoon tea or coffee.
This recipe uses vegan dark chocolate chips but if preferred just leave the chocolate out!
I love banana bread without the chocolate but my kids prefer it with the chocolate chips. So they usually win out!
Origins of banana bread
Banana bread or loaf is not actually a bread but more resembles a cake in loaf form as it is traditionally baked in a loaf tin.
Banana bread is claimed to have originated in 1930’s US as a recipe first appeared in Pillsbury’s 1933 Balanced Recipes cookbook. During the Great Depression banana bread helped reduce food waste as very ripe bananas could avoid the rubbish pile by being transformed into a yummy teatime treat.
American’s love banana bread so much that they even have a banana bread day in its honour. Held annually on the 23rd February.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Serves 12 slices.
Not keen on chocolate chips? Just leave them out for a tasty plain banana bread. Or sub in the same weight of chopped walnuts.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 kg loaf pan/ 2 Ib loaf pan. Plus parchment/greaseproof paper.
- 230 grams self-raising flour 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbsp (1 cup equals 250ml measurement)
- 115 grams soft brown sugar 3/4 cup (180ml cup measurement)
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda or baking soda.
- 60 grams plant-based margarine 4 tbsp. I use dairy-free Vitalite
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3 small-medium bananas use very ripe ones!
- ½ cup apple sauce either shop bought or homemade (1/2 a cup equals 125ml measurement)
- 4 tbsp plant milk I use soya milk
- 100 grams dark chocolate chips about 3/4 cup. vegan/dairy-free. Or a block of vegan chocolate cut into chip size pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 150 Fan/170 Celsius/ 338 Fahrenheit/ Gas 3.
- Prepare the loaf pan by greasing and lining with baking parchment.Mash the bananas until smooth.
- Add the sugar and margarine to a bowl and beat with a mixing spoon until thoroughly creamed together.
- Add the apple sauce and mix well.Don't worry if it looks split. Its fine.
- Add the mashed bananas and mix.Pour in the plant milk and mix.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Tip the flour mix into the banana mix.With the mixing spoon gently fold in the 2 mixes together.Don't overmix.Stir through the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the mix into the loaf pan.Gently level the surface.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes (depending on your oven) on the middle shelf until risen, golden and a skewer or knife inserted comes out clean. Apart from smudges of melted chocolate.Check for doneness after 45 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the loaf pan for at least 30 minutes.Carefully tip out and place on a wire rack to cool. Or just sit on a chopping board to cool if no wire rack available.
The following nutritional calculation is for guidance only as it is not completely accurate data as ingredients vary!
Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Bread Recipe Notes
- banana bread flavours just get better as each day passes. If you can bear it leave your bread until the next day! On day three of this banana bread it was tasting like those little banana Soreen malt cakes you can purchase from the supermarket. So tasty!
- vegan banana bread will stay fresh wrapped in greaseproof paper or kitchen foil and placed in a sealed container for up to 7 days. Banana bread can also be stored covered in the fridge and the chocolate chips will harden up in the fridge. Which is particularly yummy!
- banana bread can be frozen in slices, well covered and with parchment paper separating each slice, for up to 3 months. Just defrost either in the fridge or counter-top before enjoying.
- try microwaving your banana bread for a few seconds to reheat!
- banana bread and vegan ice cream makes for a tasty dessert especially loved by kids! Drizzle melted dairy-free dark chocolate over for even more indulgence!
- try a slice of banana bread for breakfast. I have many times and its really tasty with my morning coffee.
- don’t like chocolate chips? Just leave them out and bake a plain banana bread or sub in some chopped walnuts for a great texture contrast.
- not keen on apple sauce? Use a flax-egg instead. Mix 2 tbsp of flax meal with 5 tbsp of water and let sit for at least 10 minutes until thick and gloopy. Use this in-place of the apple sauce.
Looking for more traditional desserts?
Try a slice of old-fashioned vegan fruit loaf cake. Packed full of nutritious dried fruit!
These vegan chocolate flapjacks are ideal for summer picnics or a lunch box treat. Can also be baked without chocolate.
Looking for something with less sugar?
Try this no-bake plant-based chocolate pudding! It hits all the right chocolate spots while being low in fat and calories. And high in nutritional value!