Vegan School Dinners Traditional Chocolate Concrete Cake
Vegan school dinners chocolate concrete cake is a nostalgic throwback to the British old-school dinners puddings of the 1970s, 80s and 90s.
Chocolate concrete cake is so easy and simple.
My vegan chocolate concrete cake recipe results in a cake-biscuit that is hard at the edges but firm chocolate-brownie like inner texture.
You can soften the edges up by dipping in a cup of tea or coffee!
British school dinner cooks traditionally served chocolate concrete cake with a dollop of custard which would have softened up the edges.
However my kids enjoy clanking the concrete cake off their plate to hear the clunk clunk sound!
Vegan Chocolate Concrete Cake
Serves 12-15 portions.
Depending on how big you wish to slice your chocolate concrete cake!
Vegan School Dinners Chocolate Concrete Cake
- Baking dish/ brownie style baking tray/pan. I used a 10 x 7 inch but any similar size smaller or larger will be fine.
- Baking/parchment paper, if necessary to easily remove concrete cake from baking pan
- 200 grams plain flour
- 160 grams granulated sugar or caster sugar
- 50 grams cocoa powder
- 100 grams plant-based margarine I use Vitalite brand
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional but recommended
- Preheat oven to 160 Fan/180 Celsius/356 Fahrenheit/Gas 4.
- Grease and line a baking pan with baking paper if using.
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan or microwave.
- If using the vanilla add to the melted margarine.Mix.
- Add the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl. Pour in the margarine-vanilla mix.
- Mix well.
- Break up any big lumps. The mix should look like fine chocolate crumbs.
- Tip the mix into your baking tin and press it all down into an even slab. Press quite firm so it's all compacted. Smooth the top.
- Bake in the middle rack of your oven for around 20-22 minutes. A few minutes longer will result in a crunchier biscuit.
- Your chocolate concrete will be soft and a little crumbly when it comes out of the oven but will firm up when cool. Mark into portions while soft. Either 12-15 depending on what sizes you prefer.
- Sprinkle a little granulated sugar over the top after marking into portions.Leave to cool in the pan before removing.
The following nutritional calculation is for guidance only as ingredients vary. The data is based on 15 servings.
The following nutritional calculation is for 12 slices.
Chocolate Concrete Cake Recipe Notes
- Chocolate concrete cake will keep fresh for up to 5-7 days in an airtight container. Try also wrapping in foil for extra longevity.
- Refresh in the oven for a few minutes, if desired, to warm through and soften. Or microwave for 30-60 seconds to soften and warm up.
- Chocolate concrete can be frozen. Separate slices with some parchment paper and wrap up tightly to avoid freezer burn.
- Chocolate concrete cake is traditionally served with custard.
- For a plant-based custard recipe check out https://traditionalplantbasedcooking.com/school-dinners-vegan-jam-sponge/ and scroll down.
More British old school dinners recipes:
Want a slice of traditional fruit loaf?
Try my best ever vegan fruit loaf cake recipe. It really is delicious and so easy! You’ll never buy another fruit cake again!
Prepared one of my recipes?
Snapped a photo for social media?
Tag us @traditionalplantbasedcooking #traditionalplantbasedcooking
I love seeing all you amazing food pics!
Take care until the next recipe!