Vegan Taco Bean Soup is a wholesome bowl of plant-based goodness. All the flavours and textures of yummy tacos but prepared in one pot for a quick, easy, convenient midweek meal.
This post contains Amazon affiliate ad links. I may earn a small commission at no cost to you. Please refer to full disclosure.
My taco bean soup is brimming full with three different types of beans (black beans, kidney beans, black-eyed beans), vegetables, rice, and the usual taco spices of cumin, chilli and paprika. Oregano makes an appearance as I find this herb compliments tomato flavours so well.
The addition of veggie mince, in the form of dried textured vegetable protein (TVP) provides additional taco textures as well as boosting the soups nutritional value even higher. Although any vegan mince dried or fresh can be added.
I also added some wholegrain basmati rice to the soup as rice and beans are an amazing classic combination. Wholegrain basmati rice provides tasty nuttiness and texture but any type of rice can be added.
A variety of toppings can be added to the finished taco soup but my family loves oven-roasted tomatoes, crushed tortilla chips, a dollop of salsa, and a sprinkle of chopped chives and grated vegan cheese.
Plus a few slithers of avocado with cracked black pepper and a squeeze of lime juice. So delicious.
Origins of Taco Soup
Some sources claim that Taco Bean Soup originated in the 1950s Southwestern United States.
Taco bean soups origins are more than likely inspired by Mexico’s delicious tacos.
One source has researched the history of the Taco to the 18th and 19th Century Mexican Silver mines.
The word Taco translates into the material used to cover gunpowder. The covered gunpowder was used to blow the ores for excavation.
Depending on how much chilli and hot sauce you add to your tacos, it could literally be compared to gunpowder!
The Mexican miners enjoyed a meal of what was termed Miner’s Tacos.
Really Easy method for preparing Taco Bean Soup
Recipe FAQs And Notes
Vegan Taco Bean Soup
- Large Saucepan
- 2 sticks celery diced. Can also add the celery inner leaves, chopped.
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 courgette diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced.
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced. Or use any colour of peppers.
- 4 garlic cloves minced. Use extra if liked.
- 240 g black beans 400 gram (14oz) can drained. Any of the beans listed here can be easily replaced with whatever bean you have in your pantry,
- 240 g kidney beans 400 gram (14oz) can drained
- 240 g black-eyed peas 400 gram (14oz) can drained
- 150 g frozen sweetcorn or fresh/tinned.
- 35 g Dried textured vegetable protein (TVP) or 1/2 cup. Or use any vegan mince dried, fresh or frozen. For fresh or frozen use about 1 and 1/2 cups or about 150 grams.
- 100 g rice I used wholegrain basmati but any rice if fine.
- 500 g passata or 1-2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika or just ordinary paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp chilli powder use more if you'd like it more spicy! I only used 1/4 tsp as my kids dislike too much spice.
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock
- Add all ingredients to a large saucepan.
- Mix well.
- Bring to the boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes depending on how long your chosen rice takes to cook. Brown or wholegrain rice may need longer to cook than long-grain or basmati. Check the packet instructions.
- While the soup is cooking prepare any toppings and garnishes.
- If you have kids they may enjoy adding their own toppings to create their own taco soup bowl.
- Store leftover soup in the fridge, within a covered container, for up to 3 days.
- Or place in a freezer-proof container and freeze for 4-6 months. Defrost before reheating.
- Reheat leftovers in a saucepan by gently reheating until simmering and cook for a few minutes. A little extra stock or water may be needed as the soup may be very thick.
- If your leftovers have gotten very thick then an idea is to use it with tortilla wraps as a taco/burrito/enchilada or quesadilla filling for lunch or dinner. Or as a a baked potato topping.
More easy vegan meal recipes:
Prepared one of my recipes?
Snapped a photo for social media?
I love seeing your creations.