My vegan loaded black bean potato wedges are the perfect weekend fake-away.
Who needs to order in when you can easily and quickly whip up a tray of amazing loaded potato wedges?
Loaded black bean potato wedges are lightly spiced, fresh, nutritious and successfully satisfies any umami cravings!
Although if desired you can dial up the heat by adding more chilli powder. Or splash some hot sauce over. Or even add some sliced chilli.
Sadly my kids just wouldn’t forgive me if I made those additions!
Vegan Loaded Black Bean Potato Wedges Fake-away.
Prepare more for larger or more portions!
Serve with really easy home-made cheesy nachos.
Just layer-up vegan-friendly tortilla chips/crisps with some dollops of salsa and sprinkles of plant-based grated cheese. Bake until golden and crisp.
This is my kids ultimate favourite accompaniment!
Some Mexican rice would also be a tasty accompaniment!
Vegan Loaded Black Bean Potato Wedges Fake-Away
- Baking tray/casserole dish. And baking parchment/paper if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Fry pan/sauté pan.
- 700 grams potatoes 4 medium/ or 4-5 cups. I used 4 medium baking potatoes. Sliced into thick wedges and skins left on.
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 can black beans 400g/14oz can drained. 1 1/2 cups.
- 1 small red onion sliced and diced
- 4 cloves garlic sliced and diced
- 2 tbsp salsa either shop-bought or homemade. I used a jar of shop bought. Use extra salsa to accompany the dish.
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder or extra if desired for a spicier topping.
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 250 ml vegetable stock I use half a Marigold organic vegan stock cube
- salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 medium-large avocado mashed
- 1 small lime the juice squeezed out. I use a tablespoon and just twist it within the lime to remove the juice.
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 3 whole cherry tomatoes diced
- 1 tbsp coriander chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 80 grams rocket or arugula. About 2 cups.
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander optional
- 50 grams plant-based cheese Use more if liked. I used Asda free from grated Mozzarella vegan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 180 Fan/ 200 C/400 F/ Gas 6.
- Mix the chopped potatoes with the rest of the ingredients for the wedges.
- Lay out on the baking tray, on top of the parchment if using, and bake for 25-40 minutes, depending on your oven, until they are soft and golden. Flip them over half way through cooking.
- Meanwhile prepare the bean topping. Add the onion and garlic to a pan with the vegetable stock.Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix through the black beans, spices and salsa. Season to taste.Cook for a few minutes.Leave off the heat until the wedges are cooked.
- Prepare the guacamole. Mix the mashed avocado with the lime, cumin, and season to taste. Either mix the cherry tomatoes and coriander through or use them to garnish the top.
- Once the potatoes are ready scatter the bean topping over. Add half the rocket.Sprinkle the plant cheese over.Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and everything is nice and hot.
- Serve with fresh rocket scattered over and some fresh coriander sprinkled over.Add dollops of guacamole or add this to the side after plating up.Serve with salsa if liked.
The following nutritional analysis is not a strict calculation as ingredients vary. It is only for guidance. The data includes an avocado.
Vegan Loaded Black bean Potato Wedges Fake-Away Recipe Notes
- Loaded black bean potatoes are not just for a fake-away they are super-tasty for any day! Even just for a snack, or a side-dish, as part of a party spread, or a larger Mexican inspired meal.
- As well as guacamole and salsa, some vegan sour cream is a tasty addition.
- Plant-based sausages would be delicious with these loaded bean potatoes.
- Serve with a big, colourful salad, perhaps with some cooked quinoa mixed through.
- Some corn-on-the-cob is an ideal accompaniment.
- Steamed greens always go well with everything including loaded potatoes!
- Serve with home-made vegan cheesy nachos.
- A bowl of homemade refried beans are super tasty especially with tortilla chips or raw veggies to dip in!
- Prepare sides in advance to save time.
Looking for another easy vegan fake-away?
Try my vegan Mongolian beef and broccoli. Its so good!
Try a traditional English meal with this tasty vegan Lancashire hotpot!