Vegan chilli macaroni cheese is one of my family’s favourite meals!
Its the perfect store-cupboard meal for those days when you have less fresh food available.
What is chilli macaroni cheese?
Chilli mac and cheese has been a popular family meal for many years especially within the US where chilli mac is commonly sold in tins or packets.
Chilli mac is a blend of 2 dishes macaroni cheese and chilli con carne.
Macaroni cheese is a blend of pasta and cheese sauce and classically baked in the oven until golden.
Traditionally chilli con carne is simply meat cooked with chilli’s. Tomato sauce and kidney beans are usually added.
Chilli con carne is claimed as a Tex-Mex dish originating in Texas before being adopted by the US.
Today chilli con carne is a classic meal enjoyed globally.
Vegan chilli macaroni cheese
Serves 4-6 depending on appetites, portion sizes and sides.
Vegan chilli macaroni cheese is a one-pot speedy meal.
Perfect for those busy days where you need something yummy and nutritious but fast!
Prepared with green lentils and kidney beans.
Make it gluten-free by using gluten-free macaroni or other pasta shapes. And use gluten-free stock cubes. I use Vegan Organic Marigold bouillon cubes which are GF.
Vegan Chilli Macaroni Cheese
- Large saucepan/dutch oven/stock pot
- 500 grams macaroni pasta about 4 cups
- 1 can kidney beans 1 1/2 cups. 14oz can. Drained.
- 1 can green lentils 1 1/2 cups. 14oz can. Drained.
- 1 can chopped tomatoes 400g/14oz can.
- 1 tbsp tomato puree or paste
- 1 bell pepper 1 cup. Sliced and diced. I used a green one as it needed used but green peppers can be bitter and my kids prefer red, yellow or orange peppers. So use your preference.
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp chilli powder use however much chilli powder you like! Either less or more! Or use a fresh chilli.
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp oregano
- pinch cayenne pepper more if liked.
- 1 vegan stock cube
- 750 ml plant-based milk I used soya milk. Plus 3 cups of water.
- 1 tbsp white miso I bought a little jar from Tesco.
- 45 grams nutritional yeast 3/4 cup.
- 55 grams plant-based cheese 1/2 cup. I used Asda free from grated mozzarella plant cheese. Plus extra for serving if desired.
- Add everything to a pan, except the plant-based cheese, nutritional yeast and white miso.
- Mix well.
- Bring to the boil.Lower the heat and simmer gently until macaroni is just cooked. Stir frequently to ensure its not sticking to the pan.About 10-12 minutes but check your pasta package instructions.
- Add nutritional yeast, plant cheese and white miso.Mix and heat through for a few minutes.
- Check seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. A little salt helps bring the flavours out more.
- Serve! Sprinkle with a little more nutritional yeast or plant cheese if liked.
The following nutritional analysis is for guidance only and is not a strict calculation as ingredients vary!
Vegan Chilli Macaroni Cheese Recipe Notes
- Vegan chilli mac and cheese will keep fresh in the fridge for 3 days.
- Reheat any leftovers until piping hot. Add a splash of water or plant milk to loosen up the sauce for reheating.
- Freeze any leftovers for an extra speedy future meal.
- Try leftovers for lunch served over toasted wholemeal bread. So good!
- Make a chilli mac and cheese toastie or quesadilla!
- Use leftovers to create a chilli mac and cheese pizza!
- Have a chilled chilli mac and cheese tortilla wrap or burrito for lunch or even breakfast! Add fresh salad leaves or spinach, some salsa and maybe some avocado slices.
- Serve your chilli macaroni cheese with anything you like! Such as steamed green veggies, fresh salad, baked potatoes, homemade wedges/chips, rice, quinoa etc.
- Use the chilli mac as a side-dish to a larger Tex-Mex or Mexican plant-based feast!
- Replace the kidney beans with a bean of your choice. Pinto or black beans are tasty alternatives.
- Increase the protein by adding an extra tin of green lentils! Or an extra tin or cup of beans.
- Try adding a cup of frozen sweetcorn at the beginning of cooking.
- Use fresh chills if your braver than my family!
- Or add some hot sauce at the end of cooking.
- Some avocado slices would be a tasty garnish.
Want more nutritious, quick, comfort meal ideas?
Try this vegan black bean, sweet potato and green lentil sloppy Joes!
And this Vegan Mongolian Beef and Broccoli. So good!