This vegan potato, leek and corn chowder recipe is a tasty, creamy, savoury bowl of plant-powdered goodness.
Its so easy to prepare and you can have a pot ready in just under an hour which is perfect for busy days when you need fast flavourful food.
What is the difference between a chowder and a soup?
Chowder is a type of soup but is much thicker and creamier in texture. Whereas a soup has a thinner broth. Although it can be confusing as soups can be prepared as cream of whatever ingredient is being emphasised, which involves enriching the stock with cream or milk. However, a chowder is in general thicker and chunkier.
Chowder usually consists of a mix of vegetables, fish/seafood or meat that is cooked in a creamy, thick stock.
Quick Origins Of Chowder Soup
It is believed that chowder originated in England and France hundreds of years ago, when immigrants to America brought their recipes along for the journey to the New World.
Chowder quickly became a ship staple during the 17th-19th centuries and was enjoyed with hardtack biscuits. These biscuits were used to thickened up the chowder.
This type of hard baked wheat biscuit has a long-shelf life and needs to be softened up to be edible! Dunking in chowder was the perfect partnership for hungry sailors.
Vegan Potato, Leek and Corn Chowder Recipe FAQs and Notes:
Leftovers can be stored in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Or frozen in a freezer safe container for 3-4 months.
Pour leftovers into a non-stick pot and gently reheat until the chowder is simmering. Reheat for 2-3 minutes until piping hot. Don't fast boil and do stir frequently.
It is easy to make this recipe for chowder gluten-free.
Simply use gluten-free flour to thicken the soup and ensure that your vegan stock is also gluten-free.
I usually use gluten-free flour to thicken chowder and all my vegan stock is always gluten-free as well, so it works!
Although it does depend on how hungry you and your family are!
A few suggestions:
- sandwiches such as this tasty vegan tofu mayonnaise sandwich
- tortilla/burrito wrap. An idea is this vegan coronation chickpeas and kidney beans wrap
- wedge of crusty bread
-slice of Irish soda bread
- quick dinner rolls
- garlic bread
- cornbread or muffins
- American biscuits
- British scones
- vegan grilled cheese toastie sandwich
- crackers/saltine crackers
vegan Scottish oatcakes
- carrot hot-dogs
- slices of vegan pizza
- homemade wedges/chips/fries
- veggie burger
-large mixed salad
- baked crispy kale:
For an oven-based method for crispy kale:
* Wash and dry the kale. Remove any extra tough stalks.
* Once dry lay the kale out on a baking sheet and bake at about 180 Fan/200 Celsius/Gas 6/Fahrenheit 400 for around 10-25 minutes until crisp.
* You will likely need to turn the kale half way and check it carefully as it can burn really easily. Although my daughter seems to like the charred bits!
* Any seasonings can be mixed through through the kale before baking such as paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, mixed herbs, Cajun/fajita/barbecue/potato dry seasonings, etc.
* For a salt and vinegar batch of kale add a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or balsamic and a sprinkling of sea salt.
- For a fun, historical recipe why not prepare some hardtack which is an 18th Century, ship-biscuit. Hardtack is an authentic accompaniment for chowder and it can be stored in a jar for many months!
A few ideas:
sprinkle of nutritional yeast flakes
cracked black pepper
red pepper flakes/chilli flakes
pieces of shredded seaweed
vegan cream, vegan sour cream or vegan yogurt
a scoop of vegan cream cheese
How To Prepare Vegan Potato, Leek and Corn Chowder:
More Tasty Vegan Family Meal Ideas:
Slow Cooker Scottish Mince And Tatties (potatoes) (can also be prepared on the stove-top)
Mexican Noodle Soup (with black beans and corn)
Vegan Creamy Potato, Leek and Corn Chowder
- Large non-stick soup pan or similar
- Stick blender/food processor, potato masher optional
To sauté veggies:
- 250 millilitres vegan stock or 1-2 tablespoons of oil or vegan butter
For the chowder:
- 530 grams potatoes cubed.
- 430 grams leeks 3-4 small leeks, sliced.
- 130 grams sweetcorn fresh, tinned or frozen.
- 130 grams peas fresh, tinned or frozen.
- 130 grams celery sliced. About 2 stalks.
- 150 grams tofu chopped into bitesize pieces. Or replace with a 400g/15oz can butterbeans, drained.
- 4 cloves garlic minced or fine chopped.
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon plain flour all-purpose flour or use gluten-free flour.
- 375 millilitres plant-based milk
- 4 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 litre vegan stock
Optional, add to each bowl before serving
- 250 millilitres vegan cream Can use less cream that suggested. I use Elmlea plant single cream (UK, chilled section of supermarket) or Oatley oat cream (shelf aisle)
- Bring 250ml of vegan stock to a simmer. (Or heat oil over a medium heat.)Add leeks, celery, fresh garlic, garlic powder, dried herbs, and a bay leaf.Place a lid on the saucepan and sauté for10 minutes, give it an occasional stir.(Or if using oil keep the lid off, stir frequently and cook for 5-8 minutes over a low heat)
- Remove the lid and cook for a further 2 minutes.Add the flour and mix well to incorporate.
- Tip in the cubed potatoes, tofu pieces, frozen sweetcorn and peas. Stir.
- Pour in 1 litre (4 ¼ cups) of veggie stock and mix well.
- Bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.Stir occasionally to ensure chowder doesn't stick to the bottom of your pan.
- Add 375ml of plant-based milk and bring back to the boil.Remove from the heat.
- At this stage you can blend about 2-4 cups of the chowder and then pour back into your soup, to give a thicker texture. However don't blend until completely smooth, just a few pulses of the food processer is enough.Or give the soup a mash with a potato masher although not too much so as to retain chunks of veggies and tofu.
- Add nutritional yeast and give it all a good stir.Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.If your chowder has cooled just bring back to a boil and then remove from the heat, stir frequently.
- Optional: Drizzle plant cream over each bowl and give it a little mix so that the chowder is nice and creamy.Scatter over any garnishes especially tasty is chopped chives.
- Nutritional data is provided for guidance and is not to be used as an exact calculation as ingredients vary.
- Nutrition data includes the vegan cream. If the cream is omitted calories are roughly 247 per bowl.
- Reduce the sodium content of your chowder by using a lower sodium vegan stock.
- Store leftovers in the fridge, within a covered container, for up to 3 days.
- Or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Reheat by gently bringing to the boil in a saucepan, and simmering over a low heat for 2-3 minutes until piping hot.
- To make your chowder a more substantial meal serve with sandwiches, wraps, crusty bread, oatcakes, side salad, veggie burger on a bun, homemade fries, wedges, chips.
- Garnish chowder with some chopped chives, dill or parsley. Toasted mixed seeds, homemade croutons, crispy baked chickpeas, are also tasty toppings.