Vegan Cream of Kale and Celery Soup is one of my new favourite lunch recipes.
So creamy and tasty. And stuffed full of plant-based goodness.
The recipe uses an entire celery and big bunch of kale. Its ideal for using up kale and celery that may be lurking around the fridge needing used up! Or if your lucky enough to have a crop from your garden that needs using.
I found some celery and a bag of kale in the reduced section of my local supermarket so decided to create a cream of kale and celery soup.
So glad I did!
Vegan Cream of Kale and Celery Soup
Serves 4 maybe more!
Vegan Cream of Kale and Celery Soup
- Large saucepan/stock pot
- Hand blender/food processor/blender This is only necessary if you are going to part blend or blend all the soup.
- 180 grams kale 5 cups of kale that's packed in the cup. Tough stalks removed, chopped.
- 1 whole celery about 4-5 cups/460 grams. Chopped small
- 1 medium onion about 1 1/2 cups/170 grams. Chopped.
- 6 cloves garlic sliced. Or use 1 tbsp garlic powder.
- 2 bay leaf's
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour I use Doves Farm brand.
- 750 ml plant-based milk or 3 cups (each cup 250ml). I use soya or oat
- 750 ml water or 3 cups. plus an extra 1 cup to sauté vegetables. If using already prepared stock then just replace the 1 litre of water required with the stock. And omit the stock cubes.
- 2 vegetable stock cubes I use Marigold Organic vegan stock cubes which are gluten-free.
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast 1/4 cup
- Place the onion, garlic, celery, bay leaf's, stock cubes and 1 cup of water into the saucepan.Bring to the boil.Add a loose lid over the pan.Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir frequently to ensure the mix is not sticking too much.
- Mix through 3 tbsp of gluten-free flour.
- Add 750ml/3 cups of water and 750 ml of plant-based milk. Add in the kale.Mix well.
- Bring back to the boil.Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.Remove the bay leaf's.
- Remove 1 1/2-2 cups of the soup and blend, then pour back in. Or use a hand stick blender to blend some of the soup. Don't blend all of it though as texture is good especially whole bits of kale!
- Mix through nutritional yeast.Season with salt and pepper to taste.Serve and enjoy!
The following nutritional data is for guidance only and is not an exact analysis as ingredients vary.
Vegan Cream of Kale and Celery Soup Recipe Notes
- Vegan Cream of Kale and Celery soup will stay fresh for up to 3 days in the fridge. Reheat until piping hot.
- Freeze a portion or batch cook and freeze for future quick meals.
- Sprinkle sunflower or pumpkin seeds on top of each serving for added nutrition, texture and taste.
- Got spinach instead of kale? Use that in place of the kale!
- I have used gluten-free plain flour from Doves Farm. However, plain flour can be subbed in or use wholemeal flour. Wholemeal flour will add a nutty flavour and a darker colour.
- For extra creaminess drizzle some plant-based cream over each serving.
- Sprinkle extra nutritional yeast flakes over the top.
- I only part blend my soup but feel free to keep it all chunky or even to blend it all. Kids may prefer it completely blended especially if they dislike the texture of kale.
- Serve your creamy kale and celery soup with some vegan quick dinner rolls or strips of 3 ingredient flat bread.
- Or a chunk of rustic vegan Irish soda bread. Recipe link below.
Looking for more nutritious and tasty soups?
Check out this list of 7 of my family’s favourites (really 9 as I love soups so added an extra 2!)
Need some bread to mop up the soup?
Plant-based soup is tasty but often low in calories and fat so some wholegrain bread is the perfect accompaniment!
A loaf of my rustic no-yeast, no-knead vegan Irish soda bread is easy to bake and easier to disappear!
Prepared one of my recipes?
Snapped a photo for social media?
Be sure and tag us @traditionalplantbasedcooking #traditionalplantbasedcooking
So I can see it to! I love admiring your food pics!
Take care until the next recipe!