Vegan cream of kale and celery soup is one of my family's new favourite lunch recipes as its just so creamy and packed with green savoury tastiness and plant-based goodness.
A pot of this creamy soup is inexpensive and ideal for those who are not too keen on greens, especially kids.
The recipe uses an entire celery bulb and a large bunch of kale.
Its ideal for using up kale and celery that may be lurking around the fridge needing used up. Or if your lucky enough to have a crop from your garden that needs a good home in the form of the soup pot.
Quick Origins Of Soup
The word soup deviates from the French word soupe which translates from popular Latin to mean bread dipped in a broth.
Soup is almost as old as human history itself!
Evidence of humans consuming soup goes way back to pottery discovered from 20,000 BC in a Chinese cave!
Nowadays most cultures around the world have their own popular soup dishes. Soup is so underrated but as a meal it can be incredibly satisfying, nourishing, warming and comforting.
A great positive about soup is that it is budget-friendly and can be adapted to whatever you have at home.
Soup is ideal for beginner cooks as everything and anything can be experimentally and lovingly chucked into the pot, stock and seasonings added and within a short time a yummy meal is ready!
Vegan Cream Of Kale And Celery Soup Recipe Notes And FAQS
Leftover soup can be stored in the fridge, in a covered container, for 3 days.
Or frozen for 4-6 months.
To reheat leftovers gently bring to a simmer, and heat for 2-3 minutes until piping hot. Stir frequently to prevent sticking and if necessary add extra veggie stock to loosen up the soup.
If frozen, defrost completely before reheating.
Yes. This recipe uses gluten-free plain flour to thicken up the stock. Ensure that your vegan stock is also gluten-free. I use the Marigold brand which is gluten-free.
* kale can be subbed for spinach, collards, spring greens, chard, etc.
* not keen on celery? sub for broccoli or courgette
* if you don't like creamy soups simply use extra veggie stock instead of plant-milk and omit the gluten-free flour
* traditional Scottish oatcakes
* Irish soda bread
* quick dinner rolls
* your favourite sandwich. Try this Coronation chickpea and kidney bean tortilla wrap or tofu 'egg' and cress mayonnaise sandwiches
More Delicious Vegan Soups
Traditional Scottish Cullen Skink (basically creamy smoky potato soup)
Scottish Potato And Leek Soup (With Toasted Oats)
Loaded Taco Bean Soup (load up with all your favourite taco toppings)
Curried Cauliflower Soup (with chickpea croutons)
Mexican Noodle Soup (with black beans and corn)
Vegan Cream of Kale and Celery Soup
- Large saucepan/stock pot or similar
- Hand blender/food processor, optional
To sauté veggies:
- 250 ml vegan stock or 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 200 grams kale weight is minus tough stalks, chopped
- 460 grams celery one whole celery, diced
- 170 grams onion 1 medium, diced, or 1 2 teaspoons of onion powder.
- 6 cloves garlic minced or fine diced. Alternatively sub for 1 tablespoon garlic powder.
- 2 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour or regular plain/all-purpose
- 750 ml plant-based milk
- 750 ml vegan stock
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- Place the onion, garlic, celery, bay leaf's, stock cubes and 1 cup of water into the saucepan.Bring to the boil.Add a loose lid over the pan.Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir frequently to ensure the mix is not sticking too much.
- Mix through 3 tablespoon of gluten-free flour.
- Add 750ml/3 cups of water and 750 ml of plant-based milk. Add in the kale.Mix well.
- Bring back to the boil.Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.Remove the bay leaf's.
- Remove 1 ½-2 cups of the soup and blend, then pour back in. Or use a hand stick blender to blend some of the soup. Don't blend all of it though as texture is good especially whole bits of kale!
- Mix through nutritional yeast.Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Nutritional data is for guidance only and is not an exact analysis as ingredients vary.
- Leftover kale and celery soup can be stored in the fridge, in a covered container, for 3 days.
- Or frozen for up to 4 months.
- Reheat by gently bringing to a simmer, and heating through for 2-3 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid sticking to the pan. Add extra veggie stock if necessary.
- Serve this soup with your favourite sandwich, crusty bread or mixed salad bowl.
- Add a swirl of plant cream or vegan sour cream to each serving, and/or a scattering of plain/toasted nuts or seeds.
- Chopped fresh parsley or dill is a tasty fresh garnish.
Made this tonight and it was so easy and delicious 😋 Thanks !
Thank-you! Happy you enjoyed the soup 🙂
Healthy and delicious soup. Thanks so much for the recipe. I really enjoyed it!
Glad you enjoyed the cream of kale and celery soup! 🙂
delicious flavors I will make this often being vegan!
Thanks so good to hear you enjoyed the cream of kale and celery soup. It's one of my favourites 🙂
My family loves celery soup, but we've never had it with kale until now. This was s good! We can't wait to have it again.
Aww that's so good to read while having my morning coffee! Happy you enjoyed the soup. I've found that its the perfect way to use up a whole pack of celery especially if you pick one up from the bargain bucket for pennies in the supermarket 🙂
What a great recipe for using the green veggies you have. Looks so thick and creamy too and easy to make.
Thanks. I love kale and anything green really especially in soup. I agree the soup is easy to prepare and perfect for using up any type of greens needing cooked. Just sub out the kale for spinach, collards, beet greens, spring greens, radish greens, cabbage, even salad leaves, or a mix.
I love creamy soups and kale soup is one of my favorites. Thank you for sharing a vegan version of this soup. Your vegan Irish soda bread is a perfect pairing for this soup and looks wonderful. Thanks for all these great recipes.
Your welcome! Thanks so much for stopping by 🙂